Wednesday, August 8, 2012

POST NUMERO 27: White Noise Machine


Random is my middle name...here is a quick story!

I sleep with a White Noise Machine...Why? Well I use it because of two reasons:

Reason 1) I enjoy it and find it soothing...In my opinion it is common that some noises just fall into the “relaxing category”. One of my favorite things was waiting for the Air Conditioner or for the Central Heat to turn on and I would instantly just pass out because I loved the rumble and hum of it all.

Reason 2) My family wakes up way earlier then I do...so I use the white noise to block out the Italian noise at  5o'clock in the morning. My family would and could never qualify as "quiet"... in fact when they try to be quiet it just...becomes worse...so...sooooooo...much worse.
(Secret Reason 3: It blocks out the other voices in my head…)

So the White Noise machine I use is an APP (which will remain nameless) for my IPOD...
It took a long time but I have found the perfect three sounds that when played in unison make a VERY convincing "rain on roof" sound that just makes me sleep soundly (I think most people enjoy the sound of rain)...how fairly ordinary...
However, the other night I must have accidently rolled over on top of the IPOD or accidently hit it with my hand because I switched it from my harmonious  “rain on roof sound” to a sound described as “chatter”. Now, “chatter” is literally the sound of many people talking in whispers and hushed voices. These hushed voices and whispers can most definitely be perceived as evil hissing and maniacal chanting.
All chattering conversations are different and some are more understandable then others. The conversation that is the clearest is about the weather and the ones you can not understand sound like people chanting out their grocery lists.
Anyway, back to the story…in full “groggy hallucinating sleep mode” I began to realize the change in sound settings. When I was conscious enough to hear the voices I panicked thinking my room was filled with STRANGERS having trivial discussion!
Just imagine it as waking up to the voices of people whispering about meaningless and harmless topics in the darkest corner of your bedroom...spooky right?
WHO THE HELL, finds it pleasant and comforting to fall asleep with the sound of strangers whispering about random topics!?!
(Readers, when I say “whispering”, I repeat,  it is not in a pleasant way…the sound machine “chatter” sounds flat out angry and crazy…picture it as the voices of 20 highly dangerous criminals plotting a bloody and violent escape from prison while trying to not have the guards over hear them)

However I looked at some of the other sounds on the White Noise Machine and I don't understand WHO would EVER be soothed or able to sleep with such horrific noises as:

Branches: Ok, Branches, as a soothing noise, I think should sound like a soft wind rustling through the branches of a tree and making the romantic and soothing "swooshing sound" as the leaves rustle. INSTEAD, Branches sounds like a VERY VIOLENT act of deforestation.

Music Box: I understand that some music boxes have very lovely song choices (I own one that plays the theme from titanic)…but I am a baffled about who could EVER fall asleep while a very HIGH PITCHED and slow version of  “Pop Goes the Weasel” plays again…and again…and again…

Garden: BEES! BEES EVERYWHERE!!!!

Crickets: Ok this one should be renamed “Cricket” because there is only one…just one single cricking chirping…UNLESS (and this just popped into my mind) maybe it is NUMEROUS crickets all chirping at once…deceptive crickets….
I Google Search cricket....here is a picture of a puppy!
 Whisper: Remember in grade school when you friend tried to pass you a note in class and to get your attention….he would go PSSSSSSSH!!! PSSSSSSSSSSSH!!! That is whisper…loud…high pitched…annoying

Anyway…this was a random post…more coming soon!
Happy Casual Wednesday!
Happy Hump Day!

CHEERS, SALUTE, CHIN CHIN!!


No comments:

Post a Comment